The Summer Institute
The 2013 Summer Institute will be held on Monday, June 10th through Thursday, June 13th, 2013 at the Animal Rescue League of Boston. The Summer Institute is a unique, intensive, four-day training opportunity for animal care professionals whose job, paid or unpaid, involves dog intake, behavior evaluation, training, and adoption. Over the course of this four-day session, attendees will learn about the Match-Up II Online program, as well as tips and techniques on behavior modification and enrichment for shelter dogs. The Summer Institute will also include special sessions on research, special adoptions, and running doggie playgroups in your shelter. The Institute combines lectures with hands-on training for a unique, intensive learning experience.
The Match-Up II Session will focus on:
- Collecting predictive intake information from the previous home/organization
- Conducting Match-Up II Online including its groundbreaking behavior evaluation
- Guidelines on implementing Match-Up II Online in your own shelter
- Assessing each individual dog’s personality
- Using the program to make adoption decisions for increased dog-adopter matches
The Behavior Modification/Enrichment Session focused on the modification of problem behaviors including:
- Learning how to implement enrichment techniques (such as quiet time, basic training, playgroups, and playing with people) to improve the welfare of shelter dogs
- Implementing training techniques to encourage calm behavior (such as no jumping, barking) in kennels
- Managing jumpy/mouthy dogs: Practicing training techniques for jumpy/mouthy behavior
- Managing food aggression: lecture and video will demonstrating how to treat this behavior
- Dog Aggression: Evaluating dogs that don’t enjoy the company of other dogs, deciding whether to implement a management vs. behavior modification plan, practice techniques to manage this problem and view demonstrations of the behavior modification plan
The cost to attend this four-day Institute is $250. Applicants must be 18 years or older.
Please note: Payment is accepted via credit card only through our online payment system.
Download the 2013 Summer Institute Invitation!
**TICKETS FOR THIS EVENT ARE SOLD OUT**
If you would like to be placed on our waiting list or if you have any other questions regarding this event, contact Lauren Gilfeather, Manager of Educational Programming & Events, at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Those that have submitted names on the waiting list, will be notified if space becomes available.
HOUSING, MEALS, AND TRANSPORTATION
All Summer Institute attendees are responsible for their own travel, dinners, snacks, and housing costs. Breakfast and lunch will be included in the program fees.
SUMMER INSTITUTE FACULTY
Dr. Amy Marder, VMD, CAAB, Director of the Center for Shelter Dogs
Dr. Sheila Segurson D’Arpino, DVM, DACVB, CSD Senior Applied Animal Behaviorist
Marianne Gasbarro, Manager, Boston Animal Care and Adoption
Kim Melanson, CSD Behavior Counselor
Carol Ahearn, CSD Behavior Counselor
Donna Iovanni, CSD Behavior Counselor
Lindsay Emery, Match-Up II Program Supervisor
Please note: By purchasing a ticket to the 2013 CSD Summer Institute and/or Emerson housing for any portion of the Institute, you are acknowledging and agreeing to the cancellation and refund policy. For any cancellation made prior to April 26, 2013 (45 days from start of Institute), you are entitled to a 75% refund (cost of ticket and/or housing minus administrative fee), which will be sent to you in the form of a check sent from the Animal Rescue League of Boston within 30 days of your cancellation date. For any cancellation made on or after April 26, 2013, NO refunds will be given. Tickets and housing are transferable should you no longer be able to attend but would like to send an alternate representative from your organization.